Re: BogoMIPS revisitied...MMX

Wed, 18 Mar 1998 23:23:16 +0100 (MET)

On Wed, 18 Mar 1998 linker@nightshade.ml.org wrote:

> Well.. What bogomips do tell you is that differnt processors optimize
> differntly..

Yours perhaps optimizes to much, since 2 'e' seems to have been lost. :-)

> Two computers: P233 and PII-233 both running the same Linux kernel,
> P233-400bogos PII233-200bogos.. DES2 client ran 15% faster on the P233
> over the PII233.. :)

The x86 architecture is crappy. Trying to optimize to much these shit
seems to lead to tons of firmware bugs, IMO.
I just cross fingers for the next generation of affordable processors
to be clean.
Do you have some results about the same algorithm running on some clean
architecture as ALPHA (and using 64 bit calculations) ?

Gerard.