Re: re-detect SCSi bus?

Doug Crompton (wa3dsp@marconi.crompton.com)
Wed, 18 Mar 1998 12:59:26 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 18 Mar 1998, Lech Szychowski wrote:

> > SCSI module is just not an option. If anyone knows where to grab docs on
> > doing a rescan (even a hacked one) I'd appreciate it (I'm hoping to get as
>
> Well, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but drivers/scsi/scsi.c
> already specifies/supports such functionality:
>
> /*
> * Usage: echo "scsi add-single-device 0 1 2 3" >/proc/scsi/scsi
> * with "0 1 2 3" replaced by your "Host Channel Id Lun".
> * Consider this feature BETA.
> * CAUTION: This is not for hotplugging your peripherals. As
> * SCSI was not designed for this you could damage your
> * hardware !

YES YES - I know all this I have been following it here. We know we can
use /proc to diddle individual SCSI ID's. My point was that this was a
rather (possibly) dangerous way to do it. I was thinking of something
more removed from the inards for a less? guru operator. I don't wana know
boards,channels,id's - I wanna turn on a device and say find it.

So how do we define "hot plugging" and is SCSI really that unforgiving?
I suspect that one would should be more careful on disk I/O but there are
a lot of other devices on SCSI that would be less of a concern. As I said
before I routinely use a removeable SCSI HD for backup. I turn the key
on, mount it, backup, umount, turn the key off. It then can, if you wish,
be removed - BUT if it is not turned on at boot - it is not recognized by
mount - and yes you could use /proc/scsi/scsi xxxx to find it but I
think there should be a "higher level" way to do this for SCSI devices.

Doug