Re: Power Off on Halt (fwd)

Martin Recktenwald (mreckt@wurzelausix.CS.Uni-SB.DE)
18 Mar 1998 10:51:31 +0100

Johan Myréen <jem@vistacom.fi> writes:

> On Tue, 17 Mar 1998, Andrea Arcangeli wrote:
> > On Tue, 17 Mar 1998, Ricardo Manuel Pacheco Salgado wrote:
>
> > > I've just upgraded to 2.1.89 from 2.0.34, and I'm pretty amazed with the
> > > new features of this kernel... But, there is a but.
> > > With the previous kernel version my system would POWER OFF on HALT, but it
> > > no longer does that. I compiled the support for it, but it doesn't seem to
> > > work... Any Ideas???
>
> I have the same problem. The machine (an ATX PPro, VS440FX)
> does not power off, although it did it before. It just prints
> "System halted." I have tried /sbin/halt -p and
> /sbin/poweroff.

I had the same problem (you guessed :-) with a 2.1.71 kernel. Solution
(in my case): There´s a #define SMP (or is ist __SMP__?) in the
Makefile, but apm doesn´t work with SMP. Simply comment it out.

> This started happening when I compiled a new init (2.72) with
> glibc (2.0.6), so the cause could be either init or glibc. (I
> suspect glibc.) The kernel is compiled with "APM Power
> Management BIOS Support" and "Power off on shutdown".

No new kernel? Have a look at your boot messages. Maybe it shows
somewhere "No APM support for SMP, APM support disabled".

Martin.