Re: New syscall (rough draft), swap_out_pid()

George (greerga@nidhogg.ham.muohio.edu)
Tue, 17 Mar 1998 17:12:15 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 17 Mar 1998, Balaji Srinivasan wrote:

>--------George wrote----------
>> Basically I got tired of seeing processes hanging around in memory when I
>> knew they weren't going to use it. This will swap out portions of a
>> program and so far hasn't bombed on my computer. It probably needs a
>> suser() check but this is preliminary anyway just to see what people think.
>> It works in chunks so it has to be called repeatedly at the moment. I
>> don't know if this will swap out too much than swap space, haven't tested
>> that part. I do know, however, that if you try to swap out a process that
>> is running, it won't kill the process because it'll simply be swapped back
>> in when it needs something.
>
>I dont think this would work as you expect it to...as swap_out_process
>does not swap_out the whole process, but just one page...am I wrong here?

That's why my test program loops repeatedly. Of course I could change the
kernel function to loop repeatedly also... It's currently just a working
(if you remove the 'Mailer Note' from the patch) demonstration at the
moment. It needs some cleaning...like when should it stop looping instead
of the current method of just trying one shot?

I'll take some more looks soon.

This may work really well on Netscape since it does seem to leak memory...

-George