Re: NFS 2.1.90pre*

Benjamin C.R. LaHaise (blah@kvack.org)
Tue, 17 Mar 1998 14:14:00 -0500 (EST)

On Sun, 15 Mar 1998, Alan Cox wrote:

> > This is somewhat reminiscent of the problems I've had with NFS over the
> > past several weeks. Files will sporadically get truncated, or filled with
> > garbage. Once, the copy ended up with 0 length.
>
> I see length funnies, but Im not seeing data funnies except where my app
> stats the file and it shrinks under it. That rather upsets it and it
> proceeds to try and write 2^31-a few records of data 8)

I wonder if this is related to the lack of caching that I'm seeing (not
that I'm the only one) -- when the mtime of the directory a file is in
changes, the cache of the file is dropped even if the file itself hasn't
been touched on the server.

Ow gawd: I just managed to get a stale NFS file handle message
(2.1.90pre2). To reproduce, do the following (server is Universal NFS
Server 2.2beta16 on a 2.0 box):
mkdir test
mkdir test/2
cd test
( cd 2 && dd if=/dev/urandom of=foo bs=128 ) &
ln 2/foo zork
ls -al

This results in 'dd: foo: Stale NFS file handle'. Sounds like something
is pretty broken to me.

-ben