Re: Ignore my former reports - I compiled with 2.0.32 include/linux and include/asm!

Kurt Garloff (garloff@kg1.ping.de)
Tue, 17 Mar 1998 10:43:23 +0100

On Mon, Mar 16, 1998 at 11:29:18PM -0800, Benjamin Redelings I wrote:
> The title says it all: I accidentally compiled 2.1.90-pre3 with the
> header files
> from 2.0.32.

I don't believe that!
When you compile your kernel, the Makefiles automatically pass an include
directory to the compiler, e.g. -I/usr/src/Linux-2.1/linux/include, so the
linux and asm includes are taken from the kernel tree your compiling.

There's another issue, though:
When compiling the _libc_ or _glibc_, you should be sure to have the
/usr/include/linux and asm pointing to the correct kernel directories.
The syscalls new to 2.1 or the ones changed from 2.0 might not be used
properly otherwise.
However, this is more a theoretical thing. I'm using a glibc compiled with
2.0.3x and it perfectly works with 2.1.89. Kernel developers have taken care
of compatibility.
Compiling some tools depending strongly on the kernel (because the libc does
not support it), like e.g. net-tools or ibcs2, also requires to have the
correct linux and asm dirs, especially when using libc5. (glibc2 diminishes
the dependency on kernel files.)

> When I updated glibc, it automatically ate my for
> /usr/include/linux and asm and I didn't realize glibc had been updated
> (sigh). Runs MUCH faster now, though!!! ;)

Really?

> Except for the my solid lockup, the hybrid kernel wasn't that
> bad :)

It was no hybrid kernel.

--
Kurt Garloff, Dortmund