Re: Reversed Stereo in 2.1.x

Itai Nahshon (nahshon@actcom.co.il)
Tue, 17 Mar 1998 01:31:04 +0200

Michael Elizabeth Chastain wrote:

> Hi Scott,
>
> > Recently I noticed that in 2.1.x series kernels that the digitized
> > stereo sound in Quake and Quake2 was reversed. With encouragment from
> > Michael Chastain I compiled a nice chunk of kernels between 2.1.10 and
> > 2.1.86 to determine at which version this problem started. My results
> > were that the sound is fine in 2.1.40 and before and reversed in 2.1.41 on.
> > This is consistantly reproducible.

The patch between 2.1.40 and 2.1.41 looks like a complete reqrite of
the sound driver!

> I spent several hours this weekend and this morning looking into this,
> and I'm going to have to throw in the towel. It's beyond my ability
> to debug this, too. :-(
>
> If anyone wants to pick this up (Itai Nahshon? Thomas Sailer?),
> I have some data from Scott, including a .config file and strace output,
> and I can supply copies.

I will try to look at it this weekend. I need some more info.

Does the strace output show writes to /dev/dsp with odd size (or size
not
divisible by 4 for 16 bit samples)? That may explain the problems.

Is there more information to start with? Does it happen in any sound
(stereo)
playing application or just in Quake?

Does it happen with any sound card? (which sound cards were tested?)
I can try it with SB16 or with a card based on the OPTi
(but the 82C931 will not work with the older sound driver).

Itai

--
Itai Nahshon   nahshon@actcom.co.il
        Also   nahshon@vnet.ibm.com