Re: Warning, cua2 opened, ...

Theodore Y. Ts'o (tytso@MIT.EDU)
Mon, 16 Mar 1998 14:23:20 -0500

From: alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk (Alan Cox)
Date: Mon, 16 Mar 1998 08:34:56 +0000 (GMT)

> Yes, this is a potential security hole which a user who left a program
> running might possibly exploit, but there's little that user could do
> other than a denial of service attack, and there are plenty of ways of

That hole only exists because Linus needs to be fed the revoke() patch
again I think

The revoke patch isn't really the issue here; since programs could
simply use vhangup to achieve the same effect as revoke. The problem
though is that we need to distinguish between hangups caused by a hangup
drop and hangups caused by vhangup()/revoke(). It's relatively small
change to the tty layer; I'll try to get to it later tonight....

- Ted