Re: Proposed posting restrictions to linux-kernel

Todd Derr (infidel+@pitt.edu)
Mon, 16 Mar 1998 09:52:59 -0500 (EST)

Mathew Neville <neville@vm.sc.edu> writes:
> Excuse this rather stupid question, but I'm not too familiar with e-mail
> filtering. The processes that everyone's describing here about allowing
> only "authorized" posters to..well, post...exactly how broad of an area
> does this cover? For ex., I seem to pick up here and there that only

If we implement this (I will probably give it a shot when I get some
free time), it will work like this: As long as you are a member of
the list, or the digest list, you will be able to send from the
address that you are subscribed from.

If you are not on the list, i.e. you get the list through an exploder
or mail->news, mail->web, or want to post from another address, etc.,
then you will have to subscribe to a 'posters' list, i.e.
'linux-kernel-posters'. Note that no _mail_ will ever be sent to this
list, it's just a list of people who are allowed to post.

If you attempt to post and are not on any of these lists, you will
recieve a reply from majordomo telling you what you need to do to be
able to post.

This should stop 'one-off' spam from ever reaching the list.

BTW, I have filtered the 'EMAIL MARKETING WORKS' spam; the sub-human
idiots responsible continue to send it every day, it just ends up in
my mailbox instead :(

if you have comments on this proposal, please send them to the Reply-To:
address (tjd@wordsmith.org).

thanks,

todd (owner-linux-kernel)