Re: Avoiding SMP

Zlatko Calusic (Zlatko.Calusic@CARNet.hr)
16 Mar 1998 11:24:56 +0100

Dave Cinege <dcinege@fuckthejunkmailers.org> writes:

> Zlatko Calusic wrote:
> >
> > > Why is the SMP line uncommented by default anyway? If most people are
> > > building UP kernels, the default should be UP IMHO.
> > >
> > > Because His Holiness uses SMP?
>
> Yes my child....oh...do you mean Linus? ; >
>
> > Probably because 2.1.x is development tree, and we want a stable SMP
> > before stable tree (2.2.x).
> >
> > To make it stable, we must test it thoroughly, do we?
>
> Further more I think the idea is to wind up with a single SMP capable kernel
> that works fine on Uni-Proc boxes.

That's a great idea.

But!, since SMP enabled kernel will always have some unnecessary
overhead on UP boxes, it's nice if we have option to disable SMP
functionality in kernel. For those speed freaks, you know. :)

I have a UP box here, and I was running SMP for some time, just to be
sure I have a full featured kernel. :)

Then I had some problems and switched back to UP. Nothing is
perfect. :)

Regards,

--
Posted by Zlatko Calusic           E-mail: <Zlatko.Calusic@CARNet.hr>