Re: kernel security questions

Jon Lewis (jlewis@inorganic5.fdt.net)
Mon, 16 Mar 1998 00:21:04 -0500 (EST)

On Sun, 15 Mar 1998, Dave Wreski wrote:

> Hi all. I was reading some of the source for 2.1, and found there are a few
> new options relating to security that I had a question on.
>
> - Can I use /dev/random to generate characters for passwords, or only to seed
> a password generator?

Do this "dd if=/dev/random of=rands.txt bs=512 count=1". Have a look at
rands.txt. It'll likely be full of non-printable characters. I just did
it, and it was almost entirely non-printable characters. It might make
for really secure passwords, but not very nice ones.

> - I found Solar's 'Secure Linux' patch, and wondered if its going to be
> included, if not already, in 2.0.33? Wasn't the non-exec patch in the kernel
> at one time?

I don't think it ever was (at least not in <=2.0.33). It would be really
nice to put it in, even if most of it defaulted to off.