Re: [patch] x86, small syscall entry speedup, 2.1.90

Linus Torvalds (torvalds@transmeta.com)
14 Mar 1998 20:59:20 GMT

In article <199803140338.WAA24095@dcl.MIT.EDU>,
Theodore Y. Ts'o <tytso@MIT.EDU> wrote:

>Well, Linus may not like the movb syntax, but I for one am glad people
>are paying attention to bumming cycles out of frequently used code
>paths...

It's not that I don't like the "movb" syntax, but the fact is that it is
_wrong_ by any measure.

The patch Ingo had is equvalent to fooling a C compiler to generate
better code by giving it code that shouldn't have compiled in the first
place.

And that is why I think the patch is so wrong, when it is clearly a gas
bug (gas shouldn't use 16-bit overrides in the first place).

Linus