Re: Warning, cua2 opened, ...

Garst R. Reese (reese@isn.net)
Sat, 14 Mar 1998 15:24:52 -0400

Paul Gortmaker wrote:
> Garst wrote
> > Don't know who is issuing this msg. But the PPP 3.3.3 docs and the
> > pcmcia docs say to use cua, and pcmcia-cs-3.0.1-12Mar. sets things up
> > this way. Maybe whoever wrote the error msg. should send some mail and
> > change the error msg to specify what it should be changed too.
> > e.g.
> > Please change cua to xxx.
> > I presume it should be ttyS, and yes I also read devices.txt
>
> Agreed, the current pre90-2 isn't 100% user friendly in this respect.
> But don't be too hard on Ted - he has ext2 to take care of as well as
> the drivers/char stuff. Not a minor task (no pun intended).
Apologies to Ted. Love puns.
> Try using the following patch. It gives more information, and more
> importantly, it limits the number of warnings to five before the kernel
> shuts up. Example output from "dmesg" shown below:
>
> ----------------------
> tty_io.c: process 36 (getty) used obsolete /dev/cua0 - update software to use /dev/ttyS0
> tty_io.c: process 37 (dip) used obsolete /dev/cua1 - update software to use /dev/ttyS1
> tty_io.c: process 38 (kermit) used obsolete /dev/cua1 - update software to use /dev/ttyS1
> tty_io.c: process 38 (kermit) used obsolete /dev/cua1 - update software to use /dev/ttyS1
> tty_io.c: process 39 (cat) used obsolete /dev/cua0 - update software to use /dev/ttyS0
> ----------------------
>
> Interestingly enough, kermit opens the device 2x when you do a "set line
> /dev/cuaX" - heh, who would have known...
>
> Paul.
The patch that followed says these msgs will remain until 2.4! That's
likely to be into the next millenium. In most, if not all, cases, what
has to be updated is a startup script, e.g. serial in
pcmcia-cs-XXX/etc/serial or just /etc/pcmcia/serial
Unless there is a lot of communication with MAINTAINERS and packagers
before 2.2 comes out, the lists are going to get flooded. Maybe the msg
should read:
...Please update startup scripts to use...
It would be really nice if *all* printk's identified the source :)
[patch sent to linux-kernel, snipped]
--
Garst