Re: [FAQ] How to delete stubborn files [was Re: 2.1.88 E2FS Problems]

Mr. James W. Laferriere Network Engineer (babydr@nwrain.net)
Sat, 7 Mar 1998 17:45:56 -0800 (PST)

Hello Peter, Might want to add 'mc' Midnight Commander to
the list of tools to use for deleting difficult files.

My problem :

a (stupid on my part) tar -xf somename.tgz got me a really
nastily named file like:
\330\265\324\123\{]09\345........ Ad-infintum.
I tried using debugfs & e2fsck from (slackware) recovery disk
which didn't help so I probably did something wrong.
I finally got the idea of 'mc' as root & v'iola file gone.
Hth

On 26 Feb 1998, Peter Moulder wrote:
> This sort of question comes up quite regularly, so I'm giving a
> decent-sized answer (more than Ben needs) and forwarding to
> Linux FAQ. Ben, go straight to the `Force removal' section.
>

> Question: I can't remove this file, even as root!
>
> Answer:
>
> Here is a non-exhaustive situations in which root can't (immediately)
> remove files from an ext2 filesystem:
...snip...
, JimL
| James W. Laferriere - Network Engineer - babydr@nwrain.net |
| System Techniques - 25416 - 22nd S. - Kent, WA 98032 |
| Give me VMS -or- Give me Linux -but- only on AXP |