Re: mouse noise speculation - sound card related

Samuli Kaski (samkaski@cs.helsinki.fi)
Fri, 6 Mar 1998 11:13:28 +0200 (EET)

On Fri, 6 Mar 1998, David L. Parsley wrote:

> I, too, have had trouble with extraneous noise from my Linux box while
> moving the mouse. I noted that, with no sound driver, no problem. I
> also noted that under Win95, no problem. My speculation: I assume that

I'm no technician and while this is slightly off-topic, I noticed that
our Linux boxes on the department have this in their rc.local to make
the static noise caused by the mouse go away:

if [ -x /usr/local/bin/mixer ]; then
/usr/local/bin/mixer mic 0 >/dev/null 2>&1 # to prevent noise
/usr/local/bin/mixer mix 0 >/dev/null 2>&1
fi

Hope this helps.

--
Samuli Kaski, samkaski@cs.helsinki.fi
Department of Computer Science, University of Helsinki, Finland.