Re: Reproducible nastiness in 2.0.3[2,3,4pre2] SMP

Michael Elizabeth Chastain (mec@shout.net)
Thu, 5 Mar 1998 20:17:10 -0600

Hi Guys,

Alan Cox writes:

> And that versioning isnt unfortunately good enough to seperate SMP and
> non SMP modules most of the time

I recall that several versions of 'genksyms' ago, Richard Henderson
added a 'genksyms -p' flag to set a 'prefix string' for the generated
symbols. The idea is that SMP builds can use 'genksyms -p smp_'.

This code is in modutils-2.1.55, modutils-2.1.71, and modutils-2.1.85,
so I think it's safe for the 2.1.XX kernels to depend on it now.

It would be a short job for a Makefile hacker to go into Rules.make
and patch the single rule that invokes GENKSYMS. In fact I think this
is all the code that's needed:

# Rules.make
ifdef SMP
genksyms_smp_prefix := -p smp_
else
genksyms_smp_prefix :=
endif

$(MODINCL)/%.ver: %.c
$(CC) $(CFLAGS) -E -D__GENKSYMS__ $<\
| $(GENKSYMS) $(genksyms_smp_prefix) -k $(VERSION).$(PATCHLEVEL).$(SUBLEVEL) > $@.tmp
mv $@.tmp $@

I don't have time to develop this idea but if someone wants to make
a patch out of it, go for it.

Michael Chastain
<mailto:mec@shout.net>
"love without fear"