Re: Patch for block write clustering

Chris Wedgwood (cw@ix.net.nz)
Thu, 5 Mar 1998 08:33:08 +1300

From: Emil Briggs <briggs@bucky.physics.ncsu.edu>
To: H.H.vanRiel@fys.ruu.nl
Subject: Re: Patch for block write clustering
Cc: linux-kernel@vger.rutgers.edu

[...]

... (I can post the benchmark program I used if anyone wants to try it
themselves)

time ( du ~squid/cache/ >/dev/null ; sync )

(with atime updates enabled) - Perhaps a bit contrived?

I'll put it in -- the patch needs quite a bit of working. I don't have a
system with more than one drive on it that I can use for testing this
sort of stuff though.

I guess if nobody else does first, I'll forward port this to 2.1.88 and see
what happens there. I don't have an SMP machine so someone who understands
spinlocks better than me may have to look at it...

-cw