Re: Big files in ext2fs (but not i_osync)

Rik van Riel (H.H.vanRiel@fys.ruu.nl)
Tue, 3 Mar 1998 08:44:28 +0100 (MET)

On Tue, 3 Mar 1998, Itai Nahshon wrote:

> My estimate is that a btree/extents based structure will pay for itself
> only if the average extent for large files is more than 12 blocks.

It usually is far above that, but if we want to be sure,
we could increase the preallocation to 16 or even 32
blocks... (maybe sysctl tunable, or as a mount option)
Only sparse files will be relatively expensive, but still
less expensive than today...

Rik.