Re: Thread+network crashes in 2.0/2.1

Mike Jagdis (mike@roan.co.uk)
Tue, 3 Mar 1998 09:03:56 +0000 (GMT/BST)

On Mon, 2 Mar 1998, Gabriel Paubert wrote:

> > I can add some more data to this. I believe that the tulip (21140)
> > cards are very sensitive to cable quality and also that the cards vary in
> > quality even with in the same vendor/production run. Why, I have no idea.
>
> Actually the problem might not be with the tulip chip itself. When using
> it at 100MB/s, you have to go through another one or two chips [...]

And then again, it might be the motherboard. I know from bitter,
and repeated, experience that putting a D-Link 21041 based card
on an ABIT PT5 motherboard is going to screw you. Light load is
ok but increase the load (large packets? back to back packets?)
and the card seems to stop receiving. It isn't a driver problem.
It happens with Linux, SCO 3.2v4, NT and Win95. The PT5 is Intel VX
based. Swap the PT5 for another VX based motherboard and it flies.
Perhaps this is an extreme case of a more common problem?

Mike

|  Mike Jagdis                  |  Internet:  mailto:mike@roan.co.uk   |
|  Roan Technology Ltd.         |                                      |
|  54A Peach Street, Wokingham  |  Telephone:  +44 118 989 0403        |
|  RG40 1XG, ENGLAND            |  Fax:        +44 118 989 1195        |