Re: Linux Runs on 386 Sx 16 - 2MB RAM !!!

Jon Lewis (jlewis@inorganic5.fdt.net)
Tue, 3 Mar 1998 00:45:49 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 2 Mar 1998, Mikael Abrahamsson wrote:

> I have run linux on a 386sx-16 with 8 megs of ram, I wouldnt call that
> speed acceptable.

My first Linux box was a 386sx-20 with 6mb. Compiling kernels
sucked...about 2.5h, but other than that, it made a great system for
learning linux, and acted as a small web and mail server.

I have a portable 386sx-16 on which I booted Linux (1.2.x) in 2mb (or was
it 1mb?) and once I saw it would boot, I upgraded it to 7mb. Makes a
great portable terminal...though it's about 25lbs.