Re: Memory allocation problems

Rik van Riel (H.H.vanRiel@fys.ruu.nl)
Mon, 2 Mar 1998 17:09:06 +0100 (MET)

On Fri, 27 Feb 1998, Richard B. Johnson wrote:

> The following program will hang the machine with 0 Free Pages, while
> leaving 111300kB of free swap space. The magic key shows:
>
> Note... This is not a deliberate "killer" program. The children forked
> will only live for 5 seconds and pages dirtied are immediately freed.

I've made some improvements to kswapd's logic, and it
survived several 'killer' apps without much problems.

I've sent it to Linus for 2.1.89-pre2, and it might
already be in 2.1-89-pre3 (I haven't checked though).

I've been running my machine with this algorithm for
several weeks now, and this kernel has been running
for almost four days now. I'll try your program later
on and report back...

Rik.