Re: INN doesn't work on pre-2.1.89-4 (mmap problem ?)

Linus Torvalds (torvalds@transmeta.com)
Sun, 1 Mar 1998 10:19:18 -0800 (PST)

On Sun, 1 Mar 1998, Jani Hakala wrote:

> On Sat, Feb 28, 1998 at 09:08:08PM -0800, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> >
> > I fixed _one_ silly bug wrt writeback to shared files in pre-5, can you
> > check that one out? I certainly hope that was the only major one,
>
> At some point (probably while testing pre-4) active-file had been
> corrupted (same contents repeated multiple times), and innd didn't
> like it. Now it works with pre-2.1.89-pre5.

Ahh, thanks. Yes, the write-back of shared memory file mapping was broken
in 2.1.89 - the "offset" was wrong and the write-back data would as a
result essentially go to pretty much random places. That was the bug fixed
by -5, but I can imagine that the corruption done by -4 would have
confused innd further.

Thanks for the report - you had me nervous for a while with the first "-5
doesn't work either" one ;)

I hope this didn't get to bite anybody else, and that nobody lost any data
over it. Sorry,

Linus