Re: GGI, EGCS/PGCC, Kernel source

Sat, 28 Feb 1998 18:32:58 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 27 Feb 1998 linker@nightshade.ml.org wrote:

> On 27 Feb 1998, Linus Torvalds wrote:
>
> > Why is GGI messing around with the keyboard at all? I wasn't convinced
> > about GGI before, but messing around with a keyboard makes me less and
> > less optimistic about the dang thing.
> >
> > Linus
>
> Multiconsole Support.
>
> GGI/Evstack seems to be evolving into a new IO subsystem (console wise
> atlest) which is not a bad thing considering how tightly the two devices
> are intertwined.

Although this is true on Peecee hardware, it definitely isn't true
on Sparc. Console can be a keyboard, a serial port, etc. Console
handling should be as fail-safe as possible, and handle things like
serial terminals as well as 'pc style' keyboards, sun-style keyboards, etc.

Remember serial consoles aren't going away... it's quite handy to be able
to take a terminal server (i.e. an old PM2E) and have all your servers have
a console on it.

Simon Karpen slk@shodor.org
Sysadmin, Shodor Education Foundation

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!], `Pray,
Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right
answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of
confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."
-- Charles Babbage