Re: Fix for thread+network crashes in 2.0/2.1?

Linus Torvalds (torvalds@transmeta.com)
Fri, 27 Feb 1998 09:50:21 -0800 (PST)

On Fri, 27 Feb 1998, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> The fact that you saw problems implies that your threads _are_ closing
> files that are still in use by another thread, and it is possible that
> "select()" was only one of the uses. The pre-89-3 kernel protects read(),
> write() and select() (read/write have been there "forever"), but there are
> other cases that it might not protect against (FASYNC comes to mind: can
> you think of what operations your application would be using on the
> sockets it has open in threads?).

Scratch the fasync idea: fasync things will be correctly cleaned up at the
last fput() anyway. Similarly the ioctl's are protected already in 2.1.x
(not in 2.0.x if I remember correctly). As are all the normal socket
operations (sendmsg, listen etc etc).

So I'll just have to again ask for kernel dumps when the problem happens,
because I can't currently think of anything that would leak file
information across a close any more.. Maybe there is another type of
thread-related problem somewhere.

Linus