Re: Changing topic (longish), was Re: GGI debate and etc.

Michael Schmitz (schmitzm@uclink4.berkeley.edu)
Thu, 26 Feb 1998 22:09:57 -0800

At 11:45 PM -0500 2/26/98, Kenneth Albanowski wrote:
>> The way it's currently done for m68k is subdirectories in arch/m68k with
>> - common code (MMU, CPU)
>> - platform specific drivers (Amiga, Atari, Mac) that rely on any of the
>> arch dependent code. That's not much these days, and could be transfered
>> into drivers/ (after a major keyboard code rewrite?). Look at the
>> arch/m68k/...
>> subdirs, and you won't find block or char drivers there. Even the video
>> stuff has moved to drivers/video/ :-)
>
>IMO, I'm not sure how well the m68k tree will continue to work, as more
>m68* ports are created. While many of these machines have definite
>similarities, some do not, and may not fit well into the mold. Equally, if

The only one giving real problems is the sun3 with a different page size now.
The 'real' m68k ports fit together nicely (generic kernels for Amiga and
Atari were the default until they got too big, and I'm always building for
Mac and Atari these days). Seems flexible enough to me.

>m68k is flexible enough to cope with all of these variants, it suggests
>that the code should be folded back into the main tree (as is happening
>with fbcon, for an example).

Jes is working on this for almost 2 years now, together with Geert (fb, ide)
and others (Roman on serial integration, I guess).

Michael