RE: SPAM on the list

Thomas Heide Clausen (voop@innocent.com)
Wed, 25 Feb 1998 22:01:40 +0100 (CET)

Well...I usually send email to postmaster@every.domain.in.header
- - thereby including postmasters, that have their sendmail
configured to allow arbitrary relaying (Ehh..usually I do ommitt
postmaster@vger.rutgers.edu if it is spam on the mailing list -
no reason to punish him for hosting the list, and he cannot do
much to it anyway).

Pretty often the user gets a free spanking, an I get written
apologies from the postmaster.

Local filtering is a good thing (sure is), but does
unfortunately not solve the problem (If you are on a modem to
some ISP's, then you most likely _have_ paied to download the
spam).

Making postmasters aware of the problem (Not by spamming them -
by asking them in a nice way) is the only way (imho) to cut down
the amount of spam. Especially it is a good thing if an email
has been relayed to help the postmaster on the relaying host(s)
to get his/her sendmail.cf correct....Most likely he/she is as
annoyed by relaying the spam, as we are by recieving it.

(In a single case the postmaster _was_ the spammer - leaving
another domain hopelessly in the filters and eventually the
"black hole")

Speaking of spam, check out http://www.cauce.org/ - if you have
not allready done so.

Just my DKK 0.25