Re: VFS 64-bit clean

Phil Brutsche (pbrutsch@creighton.edu)
Tue, 24 Feb 1998 23:09:00 -0600 (CST)

On Tue, 24 Feb 1998, Rob Hagopian wrote:

> What, you can't backup and restore when ext4fs comes out with b-tree
> directories and no more triple/quad indirect inodes? Filesystems also have
> to be rock solid. ext2fs is pretty darn close, and doing a clean extension
> to 64-bit wouldn't jeopradize that. As soon as you start tossing in things
> like b-trees you increase the amount of testing that needs to be done
> dramaticly, and that takes lots of time. People need this now.
> -Rob H.
In that case, please at least leave ext2 alone - copy all that code over
to a ext3 development tree or something or other and then start your
modifications (64-bit, larger blocksizes, whatever you or others feel is
necessary).

Like you said, filesystems must be rock-solid. Any change to ext2
(outside of bugfixes) would introduce bugs that would need to be worked
out.

Phil Brutsche

"Be of stout heart, Number One. We've handled the Borg. We can
certainly handle Admiral Jellico." - Jean-Luc Picard

Linux: World Domination. Resistance is futile.