Re: 3com vortex + samba problem

Jon Lewis (jlewis@inorganic5.fdt.net)
Tue, 24 Feb 1998 18:20:38 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 24 Feb 1998, Svante Sormark wrote:

> I've been having some random problems with samba and the 3c595 (in
> 10Mb mode) under heavy load (copying lots of files). ifconfig down
> and then up seems to fix it.

This seems to be a common problem in various network card drivers. I've
seen it or heard about it in the following cases:

3c509 in 486's (2.0.x kernels)
SMC Ultra (8216) in SMP systems (2.0.3x kernels)
3c905 using the 3c59x driver (2.1.8x kernels)
and now your 3c595 using 3c59x driver (2.0.33 kernel)

Is it just coincidence that all these different cards/drivers have
problems with the same symptoms? Is there something similar wrong in
each, or just a common problem elsewhere in the kernel?