Re: Hang in wait_on_inode with SMP 2.1.87

Finn Arne Gangstad (finnag@guardian.no)
Mon, 23 Feb 1998 13:45:14 +0100 (MET)

On Mon, 23 Feb 1998, Steve Hsieh wrote:

> Hi Linus,
>
> The patch below which you suggest I try doesn't make any difference...
> I am using 2.1.88 now, and with that additional line a disk-intensive
> cp continues to hang.
>
> root@ord:/# cp -a /usr /mnt/u1 &
> <cp starts, but then gets stuck after copying some files...>
> root@ord:/# ps -aux | grep cp
> root 209 5.8 0.3 1296 812 p0 D 04:26 0:05 cp -a /usr /mnt/u1
> root 237 0.0 0.1 860 364 p0 S 04:28 0:00 grep cp
> [...]
>
> The only hint that appears in the log file is
>
> Feb 23 04:27:20 ord kernel: scsi0: CMDCMPLT without command for SCB 2,
> QOUTCNT 0, QINCNT 0, SCB flags 0x0, cmd 0x0
>
> Is there anything else you or anyone out there wants me to try further to help debug this problem?

Eh just a question: Are you using an adaptec scsi card? You need version
5.0.5 of the driver (or newer) for 2.1 if you want it to work. The Adaptec
driver in 2.1.8x crashes _reliably_ if you copy big directories with
either cp -a or tar with similar errors to the one listed above (I found
this out the hard way). On the SMP system I tested it on, it always
resulted in a process getting stuck on reading a page, and each process
that tried to read that same page from the disk also got stuck etc...

After i installed version 5.0.5 of the adaptec driver I could run cp -a
for a day (I made a little burn script that did just that) with no
problems at all.

- Finn Arne