Re: VFS 64-bit clean? Not yet (was Re: large-file-system)

chip@atlantic.net
Sun, 15 Feb 1998 18:11:58 -0500 (EST)

According to Stephen C. Tweedie:
> On Sun, 8 Feb 1998 12:56:02 -0500 (EST), chip@atlantic.net said:
> > Someone else wrote:
> > > As I noticed some people are trying to make the VFS layer 64-bit
> > > clean, I announce the filesystem here, so they have something to
> > > experiment with.
>
> > Well, some people may have 64-bit-clean as their goal, but I'm
> > limiting my horizon to 41- or 42-bit-clean (32-bit block numbers, 512
> > byte or 1K blocks).
>
> Make it 64-bit. Things like NFS-V3 require it, and there's no point
> in reworking a lot of the VFS code if we're still going to impose
> artificial limits in it.

NFS V3 can't require anything of our page structure. But your point
is well-made.

> > Or am I guilty of chasing a false economy?
>
> Probably. We may as well do it right and stop people moaning!

Yes, since it's easier, maybe I should just do it "right" and then
let the better functionality draw people through its cost.

--
Chip Salzenberg                - a.k.a. -                <chip@pobox.com>
      "Hoist the failure sails, men!  We're goin' home!"  // MST3K