Re: SMP Performance

Chris Wedgwood (cw@ix.net.nz)
Sat, 14 Feb 1998 11:57:14 +1300

Date: Fri, 13 Feb 1998 16:03:24 -0500
From: Mike Sullivan <mike@oddjob.utias.utoronto.ca>
To: linux-kernel@vger.rutgers.edu
Subject: SMP Performance

I just ran a two job memory/FPU intensive test under 2.1.85 and got no
performance degradation with having a second Job running on a Dual
Pro-200. Under 2.0.x I used to see about a 20% performance hit on both
jobs. This is a phenominal improvement, I had thought the problem had
been with memory contention but it seems this was kernel related. What
was done to the kernel to make this improvement.

Probably the new IO-APIC stuff. Mingo's done a great job with it.

Boot to an old kernel, do stuff and cat /proc/interrupts.
Boot to a new kernel and repeat.

-Chris