Re: OFFTOPIC: GTK and alternative GUIs and windowing systems in Linux

linux kernel account (linker@nightshade.z.ml.org)
Wed, 11 Feb 1998 13:47:34 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 11 Feb 1998, Dave Cinege wrote:

> It seems to me their is a relious faction, that believe Free == GPL only.
> I think there are 3 types of free software:
> Public Domain, GPL, and Owned but open..

There is more then that.. :)

> I can't see how trolltech is any less free then GPL, as both have restictions to final
> product. I can't take either peice of code an do ANYTHING I want with it.
> The only REALLY free software in the former.

Imagine this:
KDE evolves, Linux evolves. KDE+Linux becomes serious compeataion to MS.
Microsoft buys Troll tech, and removes the free licenceing.
(which can change at any time, and even old existing copys are affected)

All of a sudden, everyone using KDE is breaking the law. (unless they buy
user copies of QT from MS, at whatever price MS wants)

And the free people are scrambliing to remake QT (which has been said
would be very hard)..

This is much worse then with a GPLed piece of software.. Say MS 'buys'
Linus Torvalds.. So WHAT? Alan Cox takes over maintaing the kernel.

Same applies to Red Hat.

> >> KDE is free and it works beautifully. GNOME is also free, but it is
> >> presently vaporware. Yes, I have downloaded and compiled the latest
> >> stuff, and it ain't too convincing. GNOME will probably succeed
> >> eventually, not because it deserves to, but because the public is being
> >> misinformed.
>
> GNOME is ugly. KDE rocks and I'm using the current beta now. It has already reached
> "Can't live without it" status for me.

BTW- Other kde advocates on here were calling gnome vaporware just a few
messages back.. How is vaporware ugly?

Gnome will support multiple window managers and there is early design
work on extensive theme support in all apps..

Rasterman (author of enlightenment and imlib) now works for redhat and is
working on Gnome.. :)

Ugly will def. not be a problem. (actually I like how the panel looks
alot.. The WM needs work though... :) )