Re: linux-2.1.86 and egcs-980205

David Burrows (snadge@gemcorp.com.au)
Thu, 12 Feb 1998 13:56:17 +1000 (EST)

On Wed, 11 Feb 1998, Horst von Brand wrote:

> Recently somebody complained here that 2.1.86 wouldn't boot when compiled
> with pgcc because the first program launched by init wouldn't return. OK,
> this kernel here was compiled with egcs-980205, CFLAGS are basically
> -O2 -fomit-frame-pointer -march=pentium. It seems to work fine up to here
> (not exactly an uptime record, to be sure ;-)

Yep that was me.. I was being rather silly and compiled the kernel with
-O9 -mpentium (which uses ludicrously unstable optimisations that I'm told
a pretty much guaranteed to fail). Funny thing is, I compiled 2.1.85 with
those options and it worked fine (and very fast too) :). I've dropped
back to -O3 (the highest guaranteed level of optimisation I think), and
everything is snappy.

Dave.