RE: linux-kernel-digest V1 #1571

Andreas/Mortiis/Dionysos (andreas@mnsinc.com)
Wed, 11 Feb 1998 21:57:52 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 11 Feb 1998, Royans K Tharakan wrote:

> Sir,
>

> I am running 2.0.32 and am facing a very strange problem
>
> Filesystem 1024-blocks Used Available Capacity Mounted on
> /dev/hda3 289797 282977 0 100% /
> /dev/hda1 8040 5868 2172 73% /drive/c
> /dev/hda5 97536 90960 6576 93% /drive/5
> /dev/hda6 16955 3930 13025 23% /drive/e
> /dev/hda7 109608 105752 3856 96% /drive/f
>
> I get the above result from 'df' which tells me that though
> 8 MB is free... nothing is available. I checked and found out
> that I can increase and decrease Used, by adding and deleting
> files, but Available never changes... also some programs like
> sendmail check only the available and quit. In sendmail I solved
> the problem by asking it to look for space more than -1 bytes.
> however some other proggies are failing becuase of this. Though
> I will get latest kernel installed, I am still trying to think
> what caused this problem. I am using 2.0.32 from the time it
> was released on the net... and this is the first time I am facing
> this problem.
>

> Thanking you
> Royans

The problem is that you have reserved blocks set, which reserves
blocks for usuage by root only and that free space will *not* show up in
df. Use the tune2fs utility to adjust it, ie
tune2fs -m <reserved blocks percentage> <device>
tune2fs -r <reserved blocks count> <device>
(it should be done when the filesystem is unmounted or at least read-only).
Also, this does clearly not belong on the kernel mailing list, you should
have tried to look at manpages and/or other documentation or maybe posted it
to a newsgroup (not the linux kernel one).

Andreas/Mortiis/Dionysos

--
dionysos@atheist.com
--
"The church bells toll a melancholy round,
  Calling the people to some other prayers,
  Some other gloominess, more dreadful cares,
 More hearkening to the sermon's horrid sound.
 Surely the mind of man is closely bound
  In some black spell; seeing that each one tears
  Himself from fireside joys, and Lydian airs,
 And converse high of those with glory crown'd.
 Still, still they toll, and I should feel a damp,--
  A chill as from a tomb, did I not know
 That they are dying like an outburnt lamp;
  That 'tis their signing, wailing ere they go
  Into oblivion;--that fresh flowers will grow,
 And many glories of immortal stamp."
	-- Keats "Sonnet: Written in disgust of vulgar superstition"

"`Piracy''

Publishers often refer to prohibited copying as ``piracy.'' In this way, they imply that illegal copying is ethically equivalent to attacking ships on the high seas, kidnaping and murdering the people on them.

If you don't believe that illegal copying is just like kidnaping and murder, you might prefer not to use the word ``piracy'' to describe it. Neutral terms such as ``prohibited copying'' or ``illegal copying'' are available for use instead. Some of us might even prefer to use a positive term such as ``sharing information with your neighbor.''" -- From the GNU Homepage, http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/words-to-avoid.html