Re: OFFTOPIC: GTK and alternative GUIs and windowing systems in Linux

Aron Griffis (agriffis@css.tayloru.edu)
Wed, 11 Feb 1998 00:26:16 -0500 (EST)

On 26 Jan 1998, Miguel de Icaza wrote:

> The GNOME project (http://www.gnome.org) aims at providing a
> completely freely redistributable desktop environment for Unix systems
> (unlike KDE which is based on the non-free Qt libs).

This is such a bogus argument. It's unfortunate that the sole driving
reason for GNOME over KDE is faulty. Qt is free for developing free
software. If you want to develop software for profit, you purchase the
commercial license. Is that so hard?

I don't mean to offend anyone with this response, but I find it hard to
believe TrollTech isn't at all offended by the misleading claim made by
GNOME-supporters that Qt is not free, including the GNOME web-pages (last
time I checked).

KDE is free and it works beautifully. GNOME is also free, but it is
presently vaporware. Yes, I have downloaded and compiled the latest
stuff, and it ain't too convincing. GNOME will probably succeed
eventually, not because it deserves to, but because the public is being
misinformed.

-Aron