Re: ANNOUNCE: /dev/bios - flash rom bios driver

Dave Cinege (dcinege@psychosis.com)
Tue, 10 Feb 98 16:46:19 -0500

On Tue, 10 Feb 1998 17:49:12 +0100, Stefan Reinauer wrote:
>With this driver it's possible to do things like
>
> dd if=/bios.bin of=/dev/bios bs=128k count=1
Kick ass! : >
>I tested the driver with different kinds of configurations, but all
>using Intel PCI chipsets. Writing to the flashchip has only been tested
>on a Winbond W29EE011 chip.
>
>If you are interested in testing this driver, you may have a look at
>
> http://www.freiburg.linux.de/~stepan/projects.html
>
>If want to test the driver or if you tested it
>successfully/unsuccessfully, please mail me.
>I am happy about getting any kind of comment.
Thanks Stefan. This makes a much needed addition to the kernel.
Now what I want to know is when is someone going to make a GNU BIOS
so we can REALLY start fixing some of these x86 PC idiosyncrasies. : P