Re: PLIP keeps getting worse

Rogier Wolff (R.E.Wolff@BitWizard.nl)
Tue, 10 Feb 1998 00:00:03 +0100 (MET)

NIIBE Yutaka wrote:

> Or do you know any exinsting standard method to connect parallel port
> machine-to-machine with bidirectional link? I'd like to know.

I'd have liked that a streight through cable would work. However,
besides the data lines, then you don't have any signals that can
perform handshaking. Or are the other signals (3? handshake out, 5?
errors in) als bidirectional. Right?

For my PLIP cables I always buy a straight through cable, and just
resolder one side. For the bidir cable, I'd need to change just 6
wires: exchange 3 handshake out with three error in signals.

The worst problem that I see is that the outputs of one computer will
be "fighting" the outputs of the other computer as long as they both
think (power up for example) that they are supposed to be driving a
printer.

Does IEEE1284 say anything about communicating between two very similar
systems, e.g. two PCs?

Roger.

--
If it's there and you can see it, it's REAL      |___R.E.Wolff@BitWizard.nl  |
If it's there and you can't see it, it's TRANSPARENT |  Tel: +31-15-2137555  |