PLIP keeps getting worse

NIIBE Yutaka (gniibe@mri.co.jp)
Mon, 9 Feb 1998 22:18:00 +0900

Hello Fare,

Fare Rideau writes:
> So my question is, has anyone got PLIP to work on recent 2.1 kernels?
> Is anyone maintaining PLIP code?

Yes. I did changes for 2.1.78, and (at least) it works fine for me.
I'm maintaining current PLIP code. I believe that it's the first
SMP-friendly (no cli/sti) network driver of Linux in the world. :-)
Yes, it works on SMP machine as well.

> Is anyone intending to optimize PLIP?
> To add bidirectional parallel support to it? To add ECP/EPP support?

For me, no. Currently, I don't have any plan to do so, as I don't
know any standard method to do it. With no standard cable that we can
buy at computer shop easily, I won't try to implement bidirectional
PLIP.

Please feel free to hack on it.

Or do you know any exinsting standard method to connect parallel port
machine-to-machine with bidirectional link? I'd like to know.

> Far,Ai(B -- PLIP user since 0.99.14, staying 2.0.x because 2.1 breaks PLIP.

Please try 2.1.78 or later. If there's problem please let me know.

Thanks,

--
NIIBE Yutaka