Re: autoprobing of sound submodules

Adam Heath (adam.heath@usa.net)
Mon, 9 Feb 1998 05:11:16 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 9 Feb 1998, Adam Heath wrote:

On Mon, 9 Feb 1998, David Woodhouse wrote:

> adam.heath@usa.net said:
> > Does anyone have any pointers on this? Maybe I should make a new
> > function that can load a sound font without using an ioctl.
>
> Yes, IMHO - take a look at kerneld's capacity to store persistant data between
> unloading/loading of modules. I currently use it to store mixer levels so that
> they're not reset every time kerneld unloads and reloads the drivers. Sound
> fonts would seem to be another ideal application of this feature.

Looked at the patch, and it won't quite work. First, I don't want to use it,
as the persistant storage isn't mainline yet. I don't want my patch doing too
much. Also, sound fonts are written into the cards memory, and aren't stored
in cpu ram.

You did get me thinking, though. Maybe modify awe_wave to not reset the sound
font info.

Adam