Re: IRQ 19 with the IO-APIC?

MOLNAR Ingo (mingo@chiara.csoma.elte.hu)
Thu, 5 Feb 1998 15:02:05 +0100 (CET)

On Thu, 5 Feb 1998, Bernd Wolf wrote:

> [...] If giving the "pirq=0" the systems seems to be very GOOOOD! BUT:
> my NE2000-clone gets the irq=18 and the scsi says something of irq=19 ?!
> is this ok? [...]

yes, this is indeed intended. With this we have more interrupts, thus more
devices might be installed, which could not share interrupts previously.
Newer motherboards have all kinds of kludges in them like mandatory USB
interrupts, and in some cases it might prove useful to have those low IRQs
freed up a bit.

this is how 'high irqs' show up normally:

CPU0 CPU1
0: 11816 0 XT PIC timer
1: 88 55 IO-APIC keyboard
2: 0 0 XT PIC cascade
8: 0 0 IO-APIC parport0
12: 0 0 IO-APIC PS/2 Mouse
13: 4 0 XT PIC fpu
16: 21 21 IO-APIC aic7xxx
18: 334 333 IO-APIC 3c905 Boomerang 100baseTx
19: 3476 3479 IO-APIC aic7xxx

IRQ16, IRQ18, IRQ19 were 'low irqs' previously, now we map them to 'high
vectors' with the IO-APIC. There are 8 new vectors, IRQ16 being the
lowest, IRQ23 the highest.

-- mingo