Kernel freezes at IDE init

Andrzej Krzysztofowicz (ankry@idk.com.pl)
Thu, 5 Feb 1998 09:24:05 +0100 (MET)

Melvin Smith <melvin.smith@mci.com> wrote:

> Trying 2.1.81, 2.1.82 on one of my Compaq Deskpro's (P166 w Quantum Fireball) I found
> the kernel freezes upon IDE initialization. I can't remember the exact line on the bootup
> but it includes "PIIX" (sp?). I'll get more info tomorrow, meanwhile will regress versions until
> I find which version broke it. It seems 2.1.50-ish booted ok but I can't remember.

Hi,
I observe similar behaviour of my 486-based machine since 2.1.7x
(2.1.64) works OK. Kernel freezes after IDE initialization, just before the
moment it should detect partitions on the first disk. I can see

hda: (and kernel freezes with no message - partitions should be listed; hard
reboot is necessary)

But it doesn't happen every time I boot the machine (every second-third boot in
average) - so I thought it is a hardware problem. But it never happens with
2.0x & 2.1.64 kernels. My hardware is:

MB: GigaByte GA-486AL
CPU: AMD 486DX2-80
HD: Quantum Bigfoot 4.1GB
RAM: 36MB

  Andrzej M. Krzysztofowicz               ankry@mif.pg.gda.pl
  phone: (48)(58) 347 14 61            fax: (48)(58) 347 28 21
Faculty of Applied Phys.& Maths, Technical University of Gdansk, Poland