[Sound] Getting MIDI working, getting modules autoloading

Jim Bray (jb@elentari.cs.wcu.edu)
Mon, 2 Feb 1998 20:42:18 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 2 Feb 1998, Ben Kosse wrote:

> How did you get MIDI to work? I've tried again and again, but no matter
> what I do, I get a port conflict with the MIDI port. Any suggestions?
> (waveform sounds play fine)

I am cc'ing to linux-kernel because I suspect there may be others still
wrestling with this. Thru l'assistance tres gentille de Regis Duchesne
<regis@via.ecp.fr> {Merci Bien!} I was able to get everything working
well. I quote:

don't forget to compile the adlib FM support in your kernel.

[ I also have OPL3 support configured. I think this may be required. ]

Then, add to your /etc/modules.conf
options adlib_card io=0x388 # FM synthetiser

And MIDI will work, but _only_ if you load the module adlib_card with
insmod. Because for the moment, kerneld is unable to load a _minor_
device, I mean that it can only load a driver being provided a major
number.

Here are the relevant lines from my /etc/conf.modules:

alias char-major-14 sb
post-install sb modprobe "-k" "adlib_card"
options sb io=0x220 irq=7 dma=1 dma16=5 mpu_io=0x330
options adlib_card io=0x388 # FM synthetiser

The effect of this is that the device and all necessary bits and pieces
autoload on demand, and autoclean when not in use.

--Jim <a href="http://as220.org/jb"> My Page: as220.org/jb </a>