RE: Linux maintenance project: is it dead?

Doug Ledford (dledford@dialnet.net)
Fri, 30 Jan 1998 13:03:10 -0600 (CST)

On 30-Jan-98 Arthur Jerijian wrote:
>Hi,
>
>Is the LMP dead? I went to their Web page (http://linux.dialnet.net/LMP/)
>and I found no bugfixes for various drivers and no patch to allow Linux
>2.0.33 to compile with GCC 2.8.

No, it's not dead, but I think it's fair to say it's in a state of
transition. At the outset, I maintained all of the LMP web pages and made
the snapshot LMP patches. Normally, this would be fine, but with as much
time as I've been putting into the aic7xxx driver recently, I haven't been
able to maintain it. There was no easy way for someone else to walk in and
maintain the project. So, for the overall longterm benefit of the project,
we are making some changes to the web pages and the project in general.
Specifically, I'm going to be adding a database back end to the web pages,
the pages them selves will be dynamically generated, and there will be some
password protected pages that LMP members can use to add/remove/update the
LMP patches, buglists, etc. That work is going to take some time. For now,
I'm more than content to say that Alan's released pre-2.0.34 stuff is the
current LMP snapshot and tell people to use that because until I get these
changes done, I would either have to double work the web pages or not do the
current pages at all (the second option is what I'm doing right now). It
wouldn't take that much for me to simply put Alan's patch on the web pages,
and I may do that, but I'm really concentrating on getting the site somewhat
automated and maintainable by more than just me (around my work on the
aic7xxx driver).

NOTE: if there are any decent web page/database authors out there who would
like to help speed this process along, they are more than welcome to contact
me :) I've worked out the how/why/with-what of how I'm going to get it
done and all of the backend stuff installed, but I've only got a small bit of
the coding done so far.

E-Mail: Doug Ledford <dledford@dialnet.net>
Date: 30-Jan-98
Time: 13:03:10