Re: Extra per-inode data

Bill Hawes (whawes@star.net)
Thu, 29 Jan 1998 07:56:12 -0500

Martin von Loewis wrote:

> Welcome to the club. I think the official interface at the moment is
> to clean-up in put_inode, and call clear_inode in the end of put_inode.
> Please look at the NTFS code, it also supports files >4G and needs to
> store approx 1K per inode :-)

Generally it's better to do clean up in delete_inode, as at that point the inode
has been unhashed and can't be reused. The call to clear_inode should go in
delete_inode.

> The draw-back, of course, is that the inode will *not* be reused after
> put_inode gets called, so I'd appreciate such a change as well.

Not a drawback really -- the 2.1 dcache changes the rules with regards to cached
inodes. The cacheing decisions are made at the dentry level, so when put_inode
is called the useful life of the inode is over.

Regards,
Bill