Re: warning: `cpu_data' redefined

Michael Elizabeth Chastain (mec@shout.net)
Wed, 28 Jan 1998 18:16:25 -0600

George with no last name writes:

> In file included from /var/src/linux-2.1.82/include/linux/sched.h:73,
> from signal.c:10:
> /var/src/linux-2.1.82/include/asm/processor.h:52: warning: `cpu_data' redefined
> /var/src/linux-2.1.82/include/linux/modules/i386_ksyms.ver:48: warning: this is the location of the previous definition

I bet that you ran 'make dep', and then at a later point changed the
setting of the __SMP__ flag, and then did not run 'make dep' again.

cpu_data is a real variable in SMP, and a macro in the non-smp case.
And the .ver files do not get remade automatically every time they
need to be (although they sure get remade a lot when they don't).

I have no patch for this one. I would very much like to have a brand
new CONFIG_MODVERSIONS facility before 2.2.0 though. Communicating
type signatures via .ver files is fucked up from the word go.

Michael Chastain
<mailto:mec@shout.net>
"love without fear"