Re: Suspend broken on a thinkpad

Dean Gaudet (dgaudet-list-linux-kernel@arctic.org)
Wed, 28 Jan 1998 12:13:21 -0800 (PST)

Visit <http://www.arctic.org/~dgaudet/tp560/linux-apm.patch>.
Depending on what thinkpad bios version you have (no I don't have a
list of numbers) you may need my patch to get suspend to work properly.
I just learned recently that a brand new 560X seems to suspend just fine
with the stock kernel. So maybe IBM changed their apm bios behaviour.

Incidentally, the bug I'm working around here is quite arguably a bug
in drivers/char/apm_bios.c. apm_bios.c treats the APM bios as a source
of asynchronous events, and queries it regularly. Whereas IBM's bios
appears to behave as if it were synchronous -- it doesn't expect you to
query it again while you're supposedly busy suspending. What ends up
happening is that the tiny 20 element event queues overflow, and there's
no overflow detection.

But your problem sounds different from the problems I've had with my
older 560.

Dean