Re: MTRR's: What kind of speedup? Any regions besides framebuffer?

Chris Evans (chris@ferret.lmh.ox.ac.uk)
Tue, 27 Jan 1998 13:05:40 +0000 (GMT)

On Mon, 26 Jan 1998, Benjamin Redelings I wrote:

> Hi, I have a PPro 150->166 with bus speed 66MHz. I notice on loading
> proform.o (with kernel 2.1.82) that I get an improvement of 17.2->20.7
> fps at 512x384 in q2test (Quake II Test). I guess thats a 20% increase
> but it doesn't seem THAT big...is that normal? High? Low?

Well if you think about it, q2test spends most of its time calculating
vectors and stuff. The small percent of time it spends writing to the
framebuffer _will_ be maybe 2x faster. But this is only a small fraction
of what it's doing...

Try a program that just does block copies to framebuffers :)

Chris