Re: oops

James Mastros (root@jennifer-unix.dyn.ml.org)
Sun, 25 Jan 1998 13:25:54 -0500 (EST)

On Sun, 25 Jan 1998 rha@dcs.st-and.ac.uk wrote:
[...]
> ps if anyone has the time or inclination to explain to me how init can
> disable processes 1 and 2, and yet linux not go down, i would love to
> hear it. what's process 4?
[...]
> Jan 24 15:57:16 localhost login: ROOT LOGIN ON tty1
> Jan 24 15:57:17 localhost kernel: Unable to load interpreter
> Jan 24 15:57:21 localhost last message repeated 10 times
> Jan 24 15:57:21 localhost init: Id "1" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
This means that the proccess identified in your inittab as "1" was exiting
(and being restarted by init) to fast, so it was disabled for 5 minutes for
it to calm down. That process probably isn't pid 1 -- it is most likely the
getty on tty1 (you attempted to login, so it called login, but login
couldn't be started, so it died, and init restarted it, but it couldn't
start. Init tried 8 more times, but no go.)

> Jan 24 15:58:00 localhost kernel: Unable to load interpreter
> Jan 24 15:58:03 localhost last message repeated 11 times
> Jan 24 15:58:03 localhost init: Id "2" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
Same here... (but it lasted longer before init disabled it, which is odd...)

> Jan 24 15:58:08 localhost kernel: Unable to load interpreter
> Jan 24 15:58:10 localhost last message repeated 10 times
> Jan 24 15:58:10 localhost init: Id "4" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
And here.

> Jan 24 15:58:19 localhost kernel: Unable to load interpreter
> Jan 24 15:58:29 localhost last message repeated 3 times
But here, it started to go, but then managed to load OK. About 16:03, Id's
1, 2, and 4 should have come back.

> Jan 24 15:58:43 localhost login: ROOT LOGIN ON tty3
> Jan 24 15:59:10 localhost kernel: PPP: ppp line discipline successfully unregistered
> Jan 24 15:59:49 localhost login: ROOT LOGIN ON tty3

-=- James Mastros

--
  Agent K: A person is smart; people are dumb, panicky animals and you know
   it. Fifteen hundred years ago, everybody knew that the Earth was the

-=- Men In Black (1997, Paramount)