Re: OFFTOPIC: GTK and alternative GUIs and windowing systems in Linux

Jordan Mendelson (jordy@wserv.com)
Sun, 25 Jan 1998 04:46:16 -0500 (EST)

On Sat, 24 Jan 1998, Perry Harrington wrote:

> Hi all developers,
>
> For a while, I've been thinking about developing a new GPLd GUI and windowing
> system for Linux. I have recognized the need for a unified user interface for
> Linux. I don't like X because the client is the fundamentally wrong place to
> put the user interface object handling code. So, I thought about it, bought
> a book (trust me, there aren't many on the subjects of windowing and object
> interface architecture), and now am posting to see if there is anyone else
> working on an alternative windowing system. If there isn't an alternative
> windowing system in development, I'd like to start. I apologize for the
> offtopicness of this, but I figure this is the best place to start to look for
> fellow hackers.
>
> If there is any interest in this idea, email me privately, and I'll send my
> "manifesto" to you. :) I have the ability to host my own mailing list, so I
> could start one myself for this topic.
>
> Incidentally, I chose the name "why" for the windowing system:

There is already a project to do this sponsered by Debian, the web site is
down right now (http://www.berlin-consortium.org), but I have (mostly), a
mirror up at http://www.wserv.com/~jordy/mirror/www.berlin-consortium.org.
Sorry the index file is missing, but it got overwritten...

Jordan

--
Jordan Mendelson     : www.wserv.com/~jordy/
Web Services, Inc.   : www.wserv.com