Re: Dell PowerEdge 2200/233 and memory-mapped device under Linux

Linux Lists (lists@cyclades.com)
Sat, 24 Jan 1998 23:02:21 -0800 (PST)

On Sat, 24 Jan 1998, Alan Cox wrote:

> > My question is: is it a problem in the way Linux handles the cache ??
> > It would have to do with the MMU, and since the OS is the one who
> > controls it ... and since NT hasn't failed to detect the board ...
>
> It shouldnt be - caching on the PC is handled by hardware. It may also
> be that the cyzload program doesnt wait long enough before checking the
> byte. Why not check with cyclades.

Sorry, but if you didn't notice, I am from Cyclades Corp. I am the
responsible by the Cyclades Linux driver and the Cyclades-Z firmware.
Nice to meet you !! :)

The main issue that has been bugging me is why the firmware load works
fine with NT, even with cache enabled, and it does not work with Linux,
only when cache is enabled. That's why I suspected of Linux ...

The firmware load follows exactly the same sequence in both Linux and NT
(since both drivers are maintained internally by Cyclades). Furthermore,
cyzload (the Linux firmware loader) checks the Firmware ID value 20 times
with a 1 second interval between each check. I believe that is more than
enough time, since normally it gets the Firmware ID value correctly in the
second read.

Hungry for comments ...

Thanks in advance for your attention.

Regards,